All the (off)road going amphibious vehicles of the world. (work in progress) All the (off)road going amphibious vehicles of the world. (work in progress)

Last modified 28 February 2013

THROUGH HELL AND CALM WATER --  (CALM WATER-4)

My Amphib index
Now for the build-up ----- this is what has been done in 2012
new dog new dog
new dog new dog
The drive shaft was resting on the Dog shaft part of the Transfer-box therefore the wear and tear made the dog run away when engaged. (auto disconnect)

I came up with the following solution:

The drive shaft rest on 2 Teflon supports when not engaged.
The disk I made supposed to centre on the 3 pins of the other half of the dog.

Shit it is a Dutton, the 3 pins are not symmetrical placed!!
The disk fits ONLY in ONE position.
So I colour coded the positions, red fits on red e.t.c.

I works but I'm not happy about it.

Going into the water is a bit of a lottery.
When I lose the dog vibrates like hell.

So now in the winter of 2012/2013
I will get a real PTO with a balanced drive shaft with homocenetic couplers.

prop

prop prop
YES, the 13" Propeller!

It works nice, and yes it is to high in the water.

At the first test I had a maximum speed of 4 km/h and a wall of water at the rear.

Second test involved a piece of ply wood to keep the wall of water down.

Third test was with a U shaped aluminium thing. See photo left.

Then I had the aluminium plate with a U shaped made.

In Norway it did not had the eye brown but a U shaped extension.
thanks to the cooling system that went leak at the last moment.

But now with the eye brown it looks good and the water stays down.

I have a max speed of 7.5 km/h then the drive belt starts slipping. ;-(
So I have more work to do on the propeller this winter.
cooling
I moved the radiator back!

It improves on the air flow and saves a bit of weight.

With the diesel engine she is still nose heavy.

Can't lose any more weight in the front, even exchanged the big diesel filter for a small in-line filter.

See what I can do about the nose ;-)
Lose lift in the back and gain lift in the front are the only options left.
hitch hitch
With the new water drive the old hitch did not fit any more.

The new one was quick an dirty, but with a little work and a little paint. ;-)
rear bench rear bench
In 2011 Italy and Switzerland I had the read bench removed.
The weight was to high and the room for human feet to small.

In 2012 I have made a aluminium bench mainly for storage.

But 2 persons can sit on it with seat belts!
It holds the life jackets and the mooring ropes e.t.c.

The violently vibrating steering system.

A tube with an outside of 31.5 mm and a wall of 0.75 mm fixed that problem.

I was not able to reproduce the problem any-more!

sleeve
sleeve sleeve
It is so simple: NO ROOM FOR PLAY IN THE SUSPENSION!
water hose water hose
No oil leaking from the power steering, the engine and the gear-boxes.

So with a little luck this is the final repair on the cooling hoses.

NOTE TO MY SELF!!!!!!! (feb. 2013)
Never ever challenge the gods again. The cooling is drip leaking.


Previous page.
Next page.
My Amphib index So far and again better:-)