HELL AND CALM WATER -- (CALM WATER-5)
My Amphib index
|My karma runs over my dogma, so I finally learned to
take it easy, especially with the new house we moved.
Anyway this is a progress report, I started taking things apart in October 2012.
Progress is slow, not only my bad health is a problem.
The house we live in is rented so I have to make most things that I have changed original.
In the 28 years we lived there, a few things got changed. ;-)
|I simply had to do something about
the fuel tanks. (Okt 2012)
I always had some problems with the 120 litre diesel tanks.
The solution is on the right >>>>>>
To get the tanks out I had to cut the rear open.
I hope to transfer the hole into a nice white bench.
OK, Feb 2014 the new bench is ready,
in the back you can see the new fuel fill holes.
The starboard side 60 litre tank is spare fuel.
The port side 60 litre tank is the main tank.
Closed the connection between the bottom of the tanks. Made 2 new filler holes & 1 new pump in and 1 new pump out connection to pump diesel from the spare tank into the main tank.
Now only 5 litre instead of the original 10 litre is left in the tank when empty. The fuel Gage is now accurate at 10 litre +-
In the old situation, when I was thinking I still had 30 litres in the tank, it was empty or there was still 50 litres on board.
That was because the meter was off by 20 litre and 10 litre remained on the bottom of the tank.
Through the new filler holes I can also measure fuel level with a stick. ;-)
|If that was all, then life was easy,
there was also that little dog that run away.
Problem is as always when I take a part "apart" I find so much other shit.
Like the cheap metal construction that keeps the 2 gear boxes in place and the horrible things mounted on the transfer-box to keep the water out.
How hard is it to use stainless steel when you say that you use stainless in all the important places.
How hard is it to drill a hole in the right spot, I mean 7 mm off on a six mm hole and 9 mm off on a 8 mm hole
replaced the crappy dog clutch with a quality PTO.
Raymund van Riel has made the one for Jos, Raymund kindly borrowed me the drawings (Nov 2012)
+ $$$ & ??? = + +
Photos above are the PTO for Jos, my PTO is made locally by a friend (in the time he has no other work).
That keeps the cost low, but it takes much time, time I have because I have to move to a new apartment.
I do not have the energy to work on Nemesis AND the new house
Now (June 2013) I have all the parts. So I can put the parts in the right place. See below!!
I made stainless steel versions that fit properly.
Same problem, as on the horrible things mounted on the transfer-box to keep the water out. the holes in the long strip are almost 11 mm for a M8 bolt.
I also found out why the prop was on an angle!
the top front left bolt was in a hole that was to much to the rear.
In the photo you can see there is no hose between the 2 tanks any more. That eliminates 50% of the fuel problems.
A membrane diesel pump makes it more easy to get the diesel to the engine injection pump.
Specially after you run the tanks empty. ;-)
To fill the main tank from the spare tank a second membrane diesel pump is used.
moved to a new apartment! I wish I had a bit more
energy, but that is life.
But the moving is done now, so I start adding info on this site
|PTO photos for a start!!!
The Spline Sleeve moves over the 2 shaft parts in a way that a free and a locked position is available.
|The inner parts where made from a Spline Shaft.
Part number 294-146-025
The siding outer part from a Spline Sleeve
Part number 294-046-006
|Not much I can tell, photos speak
more or less for them self.
Anyway it is 19 June 2013 now and between the last bits in the new house I do a little of work bit on Nemesis.
I hope to be ready in December.
|But the good news is the Spline
Sleeve moves over the 2 Spline Shafts giving a locked and a free
|To much work to be done in my
A day work takes me a seven days.
and a hour work takes me a day.
but I still hope to go on the water before the end of this year.
The transfer-box ready to mount.
But then why was the bilge-pump hose leaking?
Because it was a crap hose, cheap a shit!
more work on my Nemesis.
|The central bilge-pump hose is
leak, I will replace all 3 bilge pups hoses with quality hoses.
Now when the centre pump is still in clear view I want to move it
to the lowest point.
Because it is simply better to mount a bilge pump in the lowest point.
See the top photo on the right.
The new hose is a bit thicker than the old one. There is not much room for the hacksaw to make the more hose space. But after 2 days hard work I won first prize.
Bottom photo first hose is in place. 9 December 2013
How do you think the bilge pump is screwed?
No, both drawings are wrong, Tim drills a hole in the hull then puts a screw in from the outside with a nut on the inside to hold the pump in place and some rubber filler on the outside to keep the water out.
To keep the water out for good,
I glue the screws in the holes with polyester filler.
So things are not ready before the end of the year.
But I do hope to have the transfer-box in before the end of January 2014.
Before the end of February 2014 the transfer was in its place.
and the propeller drive shaft connected.
|Then put the drive shafts: back
One shaft took me a day.
But hell I still do it my self.
And it is great fun to do.
New bellows fitted: (less contact noise)
March 2014, I replaced the front bilge pump hose
and yes it was cracked at the bottom of the output hole.
The story undoubtedly continuous on the next page.
Called the final insult.
Now it is 9 March 2014 working on new carpet:
1 layer bubble foil, then 1 layer rubber with a square pattern, then a layer thick rubber back carpet.
All the air pockets are there to trap and reduce the noise.
|My Amphib index||So far but better:-)